New Renault Mégane R.S. Trophy-R is the most high performance production car Renault has ever put on the market. It is rooted in Renault's immense history in motorsport, and perpetuates the legend of the record-breaking Mégane R.S., once more bringing to the roads the technologies and know-how Renault Sport has developed on the racetrack. For this car, Renault Sport engineers have pushed their expertise further than ever before. The outcome was validated by a new record on the Nürburgring.
- The new Mégane R.S. Trophy-R has the same exceptionally efficient 1.8 L 300 bhp engine as the Trophy version (167 bhp/l). So the Renault Sport wizards did not focus on power to enhance performance, they looked elsewhere in three main spheres of development.
- Drastic reductions in mass. The quest to reduce weight looked at every detail, from the absence of a rear seat to the adoption of (optional) carbon wheel rims, not forgetting the Akrapovič titanium exhaust line. Verdict on the scales: -130 kg lighter than the Mégane R.S. Trophy without options.
- Completely redesigned suspension, for a more radical result. Front axle with increased negative camber, lighter rear H axle, specific adjustable Öhlins shock-absorbers, Bridgestone Potenza S007 tyres exclusive to Renault Sport, and high performance braking with optional Brembo carbon-ceramic discs, etc.
- Aerodynamics improved even further for better support and better circulation of flows (specific underbody fairings and carbon diffuser) and additionally optimised thermal control (NACA air intake, brake scoops, etc.).
- This expert work has been validated by the stopwatch: a new absolute record for a front-wheel drive production car was achieved on 5th April 2019 by the New Mégane R.S. Trophy-R on the 20.6 km of the Nordschleife at the Nürburgring in 07:40.100. It also clocked up a reference time of 07:45.389 on the official full lap of the circuit. This is an extreme performance bearing in mind the margin of progress is increasingly narrow at such a level.
- New Mégane R.S. Trophy-R, an exceptional car, will be on sale by the end of 2019 in the form of a limited series of 500 numbered vehicles.
Patrice Ratti, Renault Sport Cars General Manager: "New Mégane R.S. Trophy-R completes the Mégane R.S. range with a more extreme version. It is very similar to a racing car, but is certified for the public highway. We know there are customers looking for this type of car, and not every driver should be put behind the wheel of such a car. For the engineers it's an opportunity to concentrate their know-how to produce the fastest car possible. The Nürburgring record is a demonstration of that performance."
Source: Renault Sport